Queen Elizabeth released a statement on Tuesday after Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey.
The queen's comments were her first since that interview, when Harry and Meghan Markle also detailed a lack of support by the royal family for the duchess's mental health issues and media intrusion.
The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," Elizabeth said in a statement issued at 5:30 p.m. London time, after hours of speculation about how she would respond to the claims.
"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately," she added.
"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."
Before the statement, there had been a wall of silence from the royal family about the interview, which was aired Sunday on CBS and by British broadcaster ITV on Monday night.
The palace was said to have held "crisis talks," according to British media reports, including the BBC, with senior royals reported to have had urgent discussions over how to limit the fallout from the interview, which saw Harry and Meghan allege that a member of the royal family had questioned what skin tone their then-unborn child might have.